MAJOR POST CARB WORK ISSUES! HEEEEEEEELP!!

How do I...? What is the correct way to...? Specifications, techniques and more.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

MAJOR POST CARB WORK ISSUES! HEEEEEEEELP!!

Postby MarkisB81 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 am

So I've had a pretty awful week so far. I finally attacked my carbs. Cleaned them, jetted (well, re-jetted) them, and had my bike vandalized in the process. I need MAJOR help. Here's the rundown:

Got the carbs off. Found that the previous owner cracked one of the velocity stacks and repaired it with electrical tape. Also found that my bike was previously jetted with seemingly the same dynojet stage 1 kit I got. So I disassembled the carbs and cleaned them out. All jets were pretty gunked up. Cleaned them out pretty well. Not sure about the needle jets because they were the only ones I couldn't see STRAIGHT through despite triple soaking, air blasting, and trying to push through with a jet wire cleaning tool. No luck. So I think you're NOT supposed to see straight through those ones lol. Also slightly temporarily ballooned the rubber seals on the basket covers, float pins, and diaphragms from letting them soak for a measly 15 min in Gumout carb cleaner. But managed to reshrink them with some cool air. Swapped out the old jet kit parts for the new, except for the air correctors (meaning just main jets and needles) Wasnt necessary but just figured new would trump cleaned. Stuck with the same size jets previously installed, dj108s. Reassembled the carbs. Set the a/f screws to what dynojet suggested. 2.5 turns out across the board. Went to sleep, woke up, went to work, come home late at night to find my bike had been knocked over and my gas tank had been dragged down the street and left in the middle of the park. Police and insurance company now involved, blah blah blah. Anyways...

Wiped my tears and put on my big boy pants. Put the bike back together. Eventually got the bike started and without choke on, which is a first without it being warmed up. Bike sounds like SH!T. Now mind you, before doing any of this the bike ran and sounded beautifully in comparison. Didn't appreciate it until I heard how it sounds now post tinkering. Probably should've left well enough alone but the carbs DID need a cleaning. So we live and we learn, right? Anyways, hooked up the morgan carbtune and they weren't TOO off sync. A little, but nothing major. Haven't had a chance to mess with a/f settings or adjusting the actual sync because ran out of gas and had to go to work. But I've seemingly got MAJOR issues here (aside from the vandalism thing). I really need some help here. I recall reading some posts here that sounded similar to my issue. Post jetting or post carb cleaning issues where the bike sounded like it caught a severe case of the plague. But then also remember reading that after some adjustment their bike sounded and ran like a new or totally different and way better bike. Is there hope for me here? What have I done? I'm close to defeat. Or close to scrapping the whole thing and buying another bike if insurance doesn't screw me totally
MarkisB81
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

I Ride: 1995 Yamaha YZF600R
Bike Color: Blue & Grey
Bike Mileage: 44,000mi

Re: MAJOR POST CARB WORK ISSUES! HEEEEEEEELP!!

Postby MarkisB81 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

Oh, also, when i got it started and was checking sync it would surge and hang up BAD when I would blip the throttle.
MarkisB81
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

Postby MarkisB81 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Quick update... reset the a/f screws from 2.5 across the board to 2 - 2.5 - 2.5 - 2 and it made a HUGE difference. The bike sounds alot better and close to "normal" again. But I'm having idle issues. When I rev it up it hangs at like 3500rpms for quite a bit. Could be the slightly imperfect velocity stack on carb 4. **see my post about possibly using 97+ velocity stacks for more detail**. Had this hanging issue BEFORE but it seemingly went away temporarily after a few seafoam treatments. Not sure of the actual cause tho. Haven't actually taking it for a ride yet. Still just testing it in idle phase since carb cleaning. Any input guys
MarkisB81
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

Postby 01YZF6 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 am

Make sure your throttle cable is not sticking.
Had that issue before down by the carb linkage due to a slightly frayed cable.
TSG: "No, I have never heard of the Blue Waffle..."
Slug: "Even Kidlet knows what the Blue Waffle is..."
01YZF6
01 posts like a girl while riding in Drag
01 posts like a girl while riding in Drag

I Ride: 01 YZF 600-R
Bike Color: THE FASTEST
I also ride: WHENEVER I CAN
Bike Mileage: NOT ENOUGH

Postby Micah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Quick test: Reduce your idle speed. See if the hanging revs go away. Also try reducing the inner AF screws to 2.25, and see if that helps.

Generally, hanging revs is an indicator of a dirty pilot jet. They can be little buggars to get clean.
"A road trip without distractions is just a commute." --Dennis Matson
Micah
Site Contributor 2010
Site Contributor 2010

I Ride: 2000 YZF600R
Bike Color: Black
I also ride: 2001 Ducati 996
Bike Color: Red
Bike Mileage: 69500
Bike Mileage: 14400

Postby tdah73 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:55 pm

I agree with Micah. Could be the jet still, or the throttle cable. Make sure it's moving freely where it attaches to the carb bank in addition to by the hand grip.
Ride safe in Heaven, Ron, Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin and Ashwin. We miss you.

2001 YZF 600R
2006 YZF R1

Many of your YZF600R moto questions can be answered here :)
Many of your YZF600R forum questions can be answered here :)
tdah73
Yes, I moved your thread
Yes, I moved your thread

I Ride: 06 R1 - street
Bike Color: Black
I also ride: 06 R1 - track
Bike Color: Yellow
Bike Mileage: 24,000
Bike Mileage: 22,000

Return to How To