CAPP top box mounting

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

CAPP top box mounting

Postby Slimy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:06 am

For a while now I've been after some hard luggage, I'm fed up of having to remove everything from the bike just to pop into the shop. But of course, I am an obedient member of the CAPP society, so couldn't justify the £150+ cost of a Givi case plus rack. So I decided to make my own.

First off, the case. It was off Ebay, and was a 'Givi-like' case. It was the two helmet sized case, for sale at a good price. Here's a link;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0281303381

Using that as a base, I decided to make the frame from scratch. Using various how-to's as inspiration, I got started. The key point was that I wanted mine to look tidy, with very little excess metal. As a consequence, I decided that the plastics would take the hit.

As a start, I removed the centre rear panel to see what I could use, and found two holes going into a quite substantial cross plate (its where the grab handles mount to), so that seemed like a good start;

So drilling a couple of holes in the centre panel left me with;

As a trial, I fixed a couple of lengths of 20mm angled mild steel, and fixed the plate to it to test the size and fit;

And of course, I had to try fitting the box aswell;

The next step was the lower fixing, I couldn't find anything to bolt it to, but there was still substantial metal plates in the rear tail. So I figured that I could just 'wedge' the bottom bar on to the right place;

A bit more plastic cutting on one side for a trial fit;

And I had something that would work. I then copied the pattern to the other side;

And I was set. A couple more bolts, and a bit of polishing later, I had the triangular mounting pieces;

All I had to do then was mount them;

Then the top plate;

And thats it, job done. In total it cost me £36.99 for the box, £12 for the metal, and maybe £5 for various nuts, bolts, washers, etc. The fixings that came with the case weren't brilliant, so I replaced them. In particular, I replaced all standard nuts with Nyloc equivalents, as I expected the vibes of the bike to not work well with standard nuts. The last job I need to do is pick up some hammerite and paint the metal, before it ends up as rusty as the rest of the bike!

This morning was the first trip with it, and it went very well. I checked it a few times during the journey and it had stayed put, with no bending of the plate or fixings. It has given the bike a bit of a 'weave' under hard acceleration, but static cruising at motorway speeds its all fine. I'm very happy with its position aswell, it seems lower and more forward than the standard Givi mounting, so in theory its a little more stable. I've retained the ability to lift the seat aswell, and the grab handles are also intact.
Slimy
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

Re: CAPP top box mounting

Postby tristanbadger » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:52 am

Nice job! Sad that the fairings had to be butchered, but for good practical purposes - you've now got yourself a nice storage facility right there on the back. You did a neat job of it.

I've been contemplating building a rack when I get around to it, and attempting to work out ways to make it almost invisible when the "rack" part of the frame isn't on. It's tricky. The fairings just don't allow much access to the frame rails.

Good write-up and photos too! :ok

Tristan
tristanbadger

I Ride: 1998 YZF600R
Bike Color: Fruity orange

Return to How To's: The Master List