Throttle Cable won't return/snap back?

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

Throttle Cable won't return/snap back?

Postby ambo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Okay, here's my fear of the "throttle cable" as stated in my previous thread actually happening. Grrr! I got both cables back on and when I roll on the throttle, it will NOT snap back. What gives? It's almost like the return cable doesn't have enough torque to pull the butterfly back. But the bottom nut isn't adjustable. This is crazyness.

I read a thread about losening and tightening the slack of the nuts on the throttle cable (top cable), but that doesn't fix the fact that it doesn't PULL itself back down.

The way I put it back on was I pulled full slack on the return cable to slide it in the holder, then tightened it. Then opened the butterfly and attached the top cable.. Isn't that right? :dunno

Ugh. One thing after another. :doh

Thanks guys. Sorry for all the idiot posts. This is my first motorcycle project. EVER.
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

I Ride: '97 YZF600r
Bike Color: Blue

Re: Throttle Cable won't return/snap back?

Postby WjmYzf600r » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Pics if possible? it sounds like you should have done everything right... When you pull the throttle hand grip, if opens the throttle on the carbs right?
WjmYzf600r
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

I Ride: '95 YZF 600
Bike Color: Blue/White
Bike Mileage: 26K

Postby ambo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:24 pm

ok I got some snap on it. I had to tighten the bottom nut up like crazy! It doesn't snap like my buddies f4i (his snaps back like crazy) but it snaps back. I gotta leave the bike as is today but hopefully tomorrow I get it back working and take it for a test ride.

Oh and I lubed the throttle cable from the spot up by the grip. I pulled the sheath off and put it back. This won't hurt anything right?
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby slug » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:33 pm

there is not enough 'free play' in the throttle cable.

on the top (2 small nuts) cable you will need to back the top nut (furthest from cable end) as far as it will go, then back off 1-2 threads (visible). then tighten the lower nut up. this will be the 'loosest' setting. You will probably need to tighten it some (using top nut to 'back off' the throttle cable from the linkage, somewhat like tightening the cable-pull brakes on a bicycle) and use the bottom nut as a lock-nut.

if you have a bicycle, look at how the brakes tighten up and loosen up as you move the cable sheath closer and further from the brake pads; the throttle cable adjustment at the carb works exactly the same.

Except you WANT freeplay so the cables aren't bound, which will allow it to spring return properly.

Hope this helps!

PS IF everything is already assembled, there is a small adjuster at the TOP near the brake reservoir. You may be able to restore the free-play there and not have to remove the tank again.
"I'd rather go riding than not." Ron "Cyclenerd"

Memorialize how they lived: Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin, Isaac, Kody, Ashwin

Take control back: http://www.fairtax.org/

"...you've got to create safety, not wait for it to naturally form around you." - Jopo16
slug
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 1998 YZF600r
Bike Color: Red/Black
Bike Mileage: 106,277

Postby ambo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:55 pm

it's not all together so tomorrow I'll adjust the throttle cable. So back the top nut on the throttle cable two threads and leave it there and then use the bottom nit as a lock nut? I feel like the bottom nut won't tighten up that high but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the reply and help slug
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby ambo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Just to update this thread with the exact reason that mine wouldn't snap back. Maybe this will help someone else.

I was putting the cables back on the butterfly fine, HOWEVER, the return cable was kinked up in the handle housing. SO! If you think you're installing the cables as explained in this thread and it STILL won't snap back, take the two screws off the cable housing on the throttle side of your handlebars and check for kinks in the cables. :cheers
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

How to adjust free play?

Postby viet978 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 am

I wanted to ask about adjusting the free play on my throttle. I just made a post about it but maybe asking it here will help.

I have too much free play right now and I'd like to adjust it so the throttle has less free play. Is there a way to do that? I looked at the two cables coming out from the throttle, there doesn't seem to be any nuts or screws on it that would allow me to loosen and adjust the cable.

My bike is a 2002 YZF 600r.

Thanks!

--viet978
viet978
Wheelies a plenty
Wheelies a plenty

I Ride: 2003 YZF 600r
Bike Color: Blak and Silver
I also ride: 91 Suzuki Katana 750
Bike Color: Red and Silver

Postby ambo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:59 am

I'm not 100% positive, but follow the cable from the throttle around the gauges (about a foot from the throttle) and you'll see a sleeve covering the adjustment nut.
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby viet978 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 pm

ambo wrote:I'm not 100% positive, but follow the cable from the throttle around the gauges (about a foot from the throttle) and you'll see a sleeve covering the adjustment nut.

Hey ambo, thanks for the into. I think you're right because someone mentioned the same thing in the other post too. I haven't been able to try it yet since there's a storm outside, but I'll definitely check later. Thanks again :+1
viet978
Wheelies a plenty
Wheelies a plenty

I Ride: 2003 YZF 600r
Bike Color: Blak and Silver
I also ride: 91 Suzuki Katana 750
Bike Color: Red and Silver

Postby ambo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

viet978 wrote:
ambo wrote:I'm not 100% positive, but follow the cable from the throttle around the gauges (about a foot from the throttle) and you'll see a sleeve covering the adjustment nut.

Hey ambo, thanks for the into. I think you're right because someone mentioned the same thing in the other post too. I haven't been able to try it yet since there's a storm outside, but I'll definitely check later. Thanks again :+1

Happy to help! Hope you get your throttle fixed! :cheers
ambo
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby hefftone » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:17 pm

I found something else which can help with throttle return. The postion of the housing (clocking, for lack of a better term) plays a significant factor in throttle response.

I found that some jackass put the throttle housing together wrong on mine, and one of the cables was not "in" the housing clamp. Where the cables attach to the throttle grip. There are two phillips head screws. Loosening those two screws will allow the housing to be rotated on the bar. I had to remove the brake lever to get to it, you may be able to work around it. If you have the tank off, and the air box off it is very easy to see how fast the throttle returns. The speed of "snap back" varies greatly depending on the rotation of that little housing. Just hold it in slightly different positions with one hand, then go WOT and release. When you find what you like, tighten the screws back.

One of my screw heads stripped out bad, had to get medieval with a pair of pliers and a pen torch (literally). I found a couple of allen head screws (M5 x.8, 25mm long, uses 3mm allen key) at Ace Hardware for 60 cents each.

It fixed mine right up.
Jeff
hefftone
Starting to think you're good
Starting to think you're good

I Ride: 1998 yzf600r
Bike Color: black and Chrome
Bike Mileage: 12,700

Postby benztech600R » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:01 pm

I have the same issue. you can open the throttle, but it will just stick.

since today was get to know your bike day, i took off the seat, fairings and tank. inspected the throttle linkage. adjusted the cable that opens the throttle, at the carb side. found this relieved some tension and now the grip started to roll back, but still didnt "snap", now adjusted the other cable that pulls the throttle closed. rolls back quicker, still no snap.

decided to disconnect both cables from the carbs. found the carb throttle plates had plenty of spring tension and "snap". inspected the cables, and not only did i find the cable that pulls close the throttle plates kinked, but also frayed, ready to completely break, probably at a most inconvienant time.

so i will be replacing both throttle cables, seeing as how theyre only $35 or so.
benztech600R
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

I Ride: 1997 YZF 600R
Bike Mileage: 32000

Return to How To's: The Master List