How to make a homemade clutch holder

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

How to make a homemade clutch holder

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am

i just got my shift shaft in (thanks flatout once again!) but now my dilemma is being able to get the clutch out. i acquired a service manual today as well so that's a help, but is there any way to get it out without a holder and without an impact wrench?

cause at this rate it looks like i'm going to lowes to find some random thing that looks like what's in the picture on the 2nd gear fix faq.
CoolJoker197
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

I Ride: 2009 FZ1
Bike Color: Blue/Black
I also ride: 2007 Toyota Avalon
Bike Color: blue
Bike Mileage: 6500 miles
Bike Mileage: Avalon 185,000

Re: What exactly is the homemade clutch holder made with?

Postby midlife_crisis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 am

IIRC, you can get it loose (if the chain is still on) with the ol' 2x3 between the rear spokes and the swingarm trick...

But I made mine out of some 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide steel stock from sLowes. I added a turnbuckle to actually hold it closed so there was less tendency for it to slip and cause you to break one of the expensive clutch components. :eek

"I'd rather go riding than not."
-Ron Paulsen

"The ride is the reason...the destination is only the excuse."
-insulinboy

"The ones who know what they want, know what they need, and are ready to take the world by surprise ride Cats."
-thesnowgod

"Dang socialized health care - driving up the price of fairings..." :(
-tristanbadger

"Its hard enough to get good advice about a YZF600R on here."
-UtHornsFan
midlife_crisis
*Winner* Most Helpful Award

I Ride: 1997 & 2000 'Cats
Bike Color: Euro Yellow/Silver, Blue
I also ride: 1997 YZF1000 Thunderace
Bike Color: Red/White
Bike Mileage: 38,000 & 59,000
Bike Mileage: 26,000

Postby Slimy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 am

I did the 2x3 through the rear wheel trick, very very easy. But you'll need a breaker bar to undo it as its the second tightest nut IIRC.
Slimy

Postby GT Jackets » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:14 pm

CoolJoker197 wrote:i just got my shift shaft in (thanks flatout once again!) but now my dilemma is being able to get the clutch out. i acquired a service manual today as well so that's a help, but is there any way to get it out without a holder and without an impact wrench?

cause at this rate it looks like i'm going to lowes to find some random thing that looks like what's in the picture on the 2nd gear fix faq.

I used the trusty air gun which had it off in all of about 2 seconds. :lol But the board through the wheel on top of the swing arm will do the job. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions, you know this re-pair is fresh in my mine. :lol

Rick, that is some devise you made there. I would have never thought about building something like that. :+1
Ride your own ride, Ride to ride again.
GT Jackets

I Ride: 2000 YZF 600R
Bike Color: Metallic Blue
Bike Mileage: 16,987

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 pm

yeah i'm about to start tackling it right now, i'm sure i'll be back with some questions.

now to find that 2x3....
CoolJoker197

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:38 pm

ok what size is that bigass nut? i know it's metric and it looks like i've gotta go find a socket....i'm searching for the size now but if anybody knows tell me asap.

as for the wheel block thing, doesn't that only work if it's stuck in gear? as mine is stuck in neutral... :dunno

EDIT: ok in the faq it says it's a 28 mm, but yet on the torque specs page it's showing 27mm. what is it? i need to know before i end up with the wrong socket :doh
CoolJoker197

Postby midlife_crisis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 pm

CoolJoker197 wrote:ok what size is that bigass nut? i know it's metric and it looks like i've gotta go find a socket....i'm searching for the size now but if anybody knows tell me asap...EDIT: ok in the faq it says it's a 28 mm, but yet on the torque specs page it's showing 27mm. what is it? i need to know before i end up with the wrong socket :doh

I just went out to my shop and actually tried one...it's definitely 27mm.

A 28mm might end up slipping on you. Somebody should change the FAQ info.
-Ron Paulsen

-insulinboy

"The ones who know what they want, know what they need, and are ready to take the world by surprise ride Cats."
-thesnowgod

-tristanbadger

-UtHornsFan
midlife_crisis

Postby realwrld » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Hey mid -

How 'bout posting a side view of your gizmo so CoolJoker can see how it's got bends & grabs on to the clutch basket splines ?
realwrld
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby midlife_crisis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:14 pm

realwrld wrote:Hey mid -

How 'bout posting a side view of your gizmo so CoolJoker can see how it's got bends & grabs on to the clutch basket splines ?

OK!

-Ron Paulsen

-insulinboy

-thesnowgod

-tristanbadger

-UtHornsFan
midlife_crisis

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

i have now acquired an impact wrench and a 6 point socket....mwahahahaha

it is right hand thread right? as in i'm going to loosen it COUNTERCLOCKWISE, right?

btw i'm taking pictures every step of the way, i even used a piece of cardboard for the cover screws thanks to somebody's ingenius pictures :jester
CoolJoker197

Postby vashtsdaytona » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 pm

loosen it to the left, couterclockwise, lefty loosey, reverse on teh impact all the above
I have a full engines worth of bolts and hardware. if you are missing somthing specialty hit me up I will share.

Goodbye Ashwin, stay safe on the otherside.

YOSHIMURA Club
member #1 President

My technical mentors; Bpro, 893cv.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

"I know what I'm doing is right, I just did it wrong."

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67234

courtesy of UTHornsfan
vashtsdaytona
Not a "Thundercat"

I Ride: 1996
Bike Color: FoxEye
Bike Mileage: 44000

Postby slug » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 pm

sweet!

i love cardboard boxes, if you open the trackbike crate engine crate, you'll see a few boxes with bolts in them.
"I'd rather go riding than not." Ron "Cyclenerd"

Memorialize how they lived: Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin, Isaac, Kody, Ashwin

Take control back: http://www.fairtax.org/

"...you've got to create safety, not wait for it to naturally form around you." - Jopo16
slug
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 1998 YZF600r
Bike Color: Red/Black
Bike Mileage: 106,277

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:54 pm

ok i'm incredibly proud of myself, i did it! it wasn't as hard as i had expected. the tab on the shift shaft was bent maybe a millimeter or two, but with the new shaft it shifted just fine to first and second.

i took enough pictures to make a decent walkthrough, i don't know who might be interested since it's not that hard, but maybe somebody could be helped in the future.

anyway, there's just one catch....when i was getting ready to put the oil back in, i did a mental check on what i had done....and i'll be damned if i didn't forget to bend the tabs on the washer :doh now i know that's important to keep it locked in place, but is it worth tearing back into it considering it's torqued to spec? i don't mind going back in as i have nothing better to do on a thursday night, but i just want to know exactly how critical it is. and i'm also dying to take a midnight stroll to make sure everything is in working order.

so....do i go back and do it right or leave it as is? i'm pretty sure i know the answer, but i just wanted to ask first.
CoolJoker197

Postby GT Jackets » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 pm

CoolJoker197 wrote:ok i'm incredibly proud of myself, i did it! it wasn't as hard as i had expected. the tab on the shift shaft was bent maybe a millimeter or two, but with the new shaft it shifted just fine to first and second.

i took enough pictures to make a decent walkthrough, i don't know who might be interested since it's not that hard, but maybe somebody could be helped in the future.

anyway, there's just one catch....when i was getting ready to put the oil back in, i did a mental check on what i had done....and i'll be damned if i didn't forget to bend the tabs on the washer :doh now i know that's important to keep it locked in place, but is it worth tearing back into it considering it's torqued to spec? i don't mind going back in as i have nothing better to do on a thursday night, but i just want to know exactly how critical it is. and i'm also dying to take a midnight stroll to make sure everything is in working order.

so....do i go back and do it right or leave it as is? i'm pretty sure i know the answer, but i just wanted to ask first.

Go back in and bend the locl washer. I'm not 100% that if will Fark anything up if you dont, but its there for a reason and I would have confort in knowing its there and locked than to be riding and that thing spin off. Dont want to know what the inside of the clutch looks like when it comes spinning off at high rev. The basket alone is a few hundred dollars. Worth the extra 20 minutes. Glad to hear you got her fixed up though. :ok
Last edited by GT Jackets on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT Jackets

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:14 pm

that's all i needed to hear, i'm bout to get my ass back out on that cold concrete floor :jester

you know the most ironic part of it all is my yammer mechanic assumed it was internal problems and quoted me 2k+ in repairs. i can't wait to see the look on his face :roll

CoolJoker197

Postby GT Jackets » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

CoolJoker197 wrote:that's all i needed to hear, i'm bout to get my ass back out on that cold concrete floor :jester

you know the most ironic part of it all is my yammer mechanic assumed it was internal problems and quoted me 2k+ in repairs. i can't wait to see the look on his face :roll

I know what you mean. The stealership wants me to bring it in and tear into it before they would even give me a suggestion as to what was wrong. What they were saying to them selves was " Its probably just a bent shift shaft, but we can get this tool bag on the phone to bring his bike in, charge him 3 or 4 hours labor plus mark up the part and make a few hundred off him". What they didnt know is us lucky ones that know of this site have the advantage. :lol This place is crazy helpful!!! I think if we didnt have eachother watching out for one another you and I would have either paid the price to have the stealership fix it or the kitty would have been sitting for a while until we could take it in. Who would have thought it would be a $35.00 part? I have the time, and a little money, but not enough to take it to them every time something goes wrong. Thats why we have each other. :D :rockon

Oh...do us a favor, go to your dealer on your bike tomorrow and tell him you fixed it yourself for $40.00 and ask him "what did you say it was going to cost me?" Dont get me wrong, everyone has to make a living doing what they are "good" at, but ripping into peoples pockets and billing more hours than needed and over pricing parts should get each one of them a swift kid to the balls and a :moon
GT Jackets

Postby CoolJoker197 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:58 am

ok, it's nearly 3 in the morning and i've called it quits for the night, i like to have never got that damn washer bent. what tools do you guys use for that? a flat screwdriver or an angled tip flat worked good for my front sprocket, but this was some close quarters combat.

since i don't feel like waking up the neighbors, i can't go for a test ride....but upon squeezing my clutch lever, it felt a good bit stiffer than it did before. what could be causing this, lack of lubrication on the clutch plates? should it go away as i get some miles on her?

i also somehow pulled the wires out of the front blinkers on both sides when removing the fairings, i'm not going to blow a bulb if i cross the wires am i?

btw thanks everybody for the help, especially gt jackets, otherwise i'd still be worrying about whether or not i could do this on my own. :ok

and props to my mother, who said she was gonna pick me up some oil. i told her just to get something like castrol or penzoil whatever anything that wasn't 'energy conserving' and not to spend much money as i was gonna reimburse her. she ends up getting me this stuff from the local powersports shop...

when i saw the price i was like :eek but she insisted that's what i use, and that she picked up the tab. you can't ask for much better than that can ya?
CoolJoker197

Postby Slimy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 am

I think I used a plumbing wrench, one of those adjustable opening ones? It had serrated faces, and I could just get one bit over the edge of the washer. Once its moving, then a bashing with a screwdriver and a hammer got it flat against the nut.

It is a pig though, as you say there is very little room.

The stiffness of the clutch lever might just be everything not quite settled into place. Give it a bit of a run with a few shifts and see how it goes.
Slimy

Postby slug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 am

i use a medium sized pair of channel-locks.

the washer is pre-bent slightly so you can catch the edge with the pliers and bend it flat.
"I'd rather go riding than not." Ron "Cyclenerd"

Memorialize how they lived: Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin, Isaac, Kody, Ashwin

Take control back: http://www.fairtax.org/

"...you've got to create safety, not wait for it to naturally form around you." - Jopo16
slug
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 1998 YZF600r
Bike Color: Red/Black
Bike Mileage: 106,277

Postby SilverRider » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:13 am

slug wrote:i use a medium sized pair of channel-locks.

the washer is pre-bent slightly so you can catch the edge with the pliers and bend it flat.

Ditto.
Took me longer to find the channel locks than to bend the thing in place. :cheers

And as far as I can tell people are very happy to take their bike to the shop and wait 8 weeks for them to fix something like the shift shaft or tune the carbs or whatever for $$$.
Driver Funny #3: The guy who took a left turn in a right hand traffic circle.
SilverRider

I Ride: 1998
Bike Color: Blue/white
Bike Mileage: 84200

Next

Return to How To's: The Master List