front wheel not aligned?

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

front wheel not aligned?

Postby 97catintenn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:54 am

This is for midlife. Who keeps on pimping out photo after photo after photo. Well, he beat me in single post helps, now, I'm going to create a how-to so that I can get back in the game!

Since my low side, my bars were tweaked some. I would be driving down the road in a straight line, but my hands would not be aligned with my body. I checked my rear wheel...which...crap...I didn't take pics of...hang on...

Let's start over. The first step to check when your bars/clip ons are not at an even distance from you, is to find out if your rear wheel is actually aligned with the bike.

I use a tape measure to check this. Butt the tape to the frame and measure the center of the axle as shown.

18"s to the center. Let's go to the other side and measure it off the frame.

18"s....The rear wheel is perfectly aligned. Let's skip the part about a bent frame or other possiblities and move on to realigning the front wheel to compensate!

Tools needed, very few.

Air Rachet (my favorite tool box item) <not needed but fun>
5mm and 6mm allen head sockets for air rachet
6mm old school allen wrench
short 14mm wrench

It's also nice to have a cat with the plastics removed, on a rear stand, and a floor jack with a tiny 1x4 on it.

Slide that jack under the headers, and put some pressure on the bike. I'll show you what happens when use too much support here.

Now, use the 5mm allen head and break loose the clip ons. You want to keep them with a little torque, so that you can later grab the front of the bike, and force the wheel where you want it, and it will stay with just the tension of the clipons.

6mm being used here. I was able to sneak in! I said, "It's just the tip baby", and she said, "oh, okay" Don't try this though.

Now, I'm moving on to the lower triple clamp. This photo was taken from the ground pointing upward. I'm using a short 14mm wrench here and there is one bolt on each fork/side for me to loosen. Fortunately, with my short wrench, I am just strong enough to break loose the torqued bolt, so I know that when I install it.....

I move to the other fork and loosen that bolt....dang, the front end dropped!! I loosened everything too much thinking I would make life easier. Well, here's a free how-to lower the front of your bike! Just follow my directions on straightening the front wheel! :doh I mean, look at the pic, you can see the forks raised another 1/4" in the triple. Now, I'm a 1/2" past factory specs. I must not have jacked up the front of the bike enough with the floor jack.

Before I tighten anything, I use the floor jack to bring my forks back down to where they were before. Raise the frame up higher, if the forks don't drop in the triples, I'll just push them down by hand. 1/4" above the clip-on

Now that I'm back where I started, let's put a little more torque on the clipons and upper triple clamp to keep things steady BEFORE I actually start asking for my stuff to move!

And then, I will use my precision methods to hold the front wheel steady and realign it with the rear wheel! <Rex go EEeeerrrrrr!!>

I don't know why he is straining, it's not that hard. Took less than an hour. Tighten everything back up to specs and test ride...make whatever adjustments that need to be made, and you are good to go :ok

edit: When I said it took less than an hour, that's because the plastics were already removed. So, I'm not talking about the time to remove and reinstall the plastics, okay? Ron (TSG) had my plastics at his place in NY during this how-to.
Last edited by 97catintenn on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
97catintenn
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 97CATinTENNessee
Bike Color: Red and White
Bike Mileage: 50,000

Re: front wheel not aligned?

Postby CoolJoker197 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 am

i'm impressed!

Air Rachet (my favorite tool box item) <not needed but fun>

air ratchet is too much fun not to use though :jester
CoolJoker197
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

I Ride: 2009 FZ1
Bike Color: Blue/Black
I also ride: 2007 Toyota Avalon
Bike Color: blue
Bike Mileage: 6500 miles
Bike Mileage: Avalon 185,000

Postby Loki WRX YZF » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:11 am

97catintenn wrote:This is for midlife. <Rex go EEeeerrrrrr!!>

I'm chopping! :excellent

Ashwin Gopalakrishnan #788 - He Showed Me The Way And How To Get Through It. I Will Always Miss You, Ash.
Loki WRX YZF
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: '06 YZF 600R
Bike Color: Black & White
Bike Mileage: 66937

Postby gtcompscientist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am

Great write-up! Very helpful.

Loki WRX YZF wrote:I'm chopping! :excellent

Can't wait to see it....... ;)
gtcompscientist