Our front sprocket nuts are prone to dissappear...FIX

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

Our front sprocket nuts are prone to dissappear...FIX

Postby 97catintenn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Dedicated to one called CoolJoker:

More than a few members have posted up here on the site that the front sprocket nut was missing when they removed the front sprocket cover. Sometimes, damaging the threads to the point that the new nut will not torque to 50ft lbs anymore and need to be drilled and keyed*.

*Keyed how-to links:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15280 By Slimy
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54656 By Dominata (scroll down for fix)

My fix, done before you lose your front sprocket nut, is to safety wire the nut to the lock washer. The lock washer is splined so it cannot spin and makes for a suitable point to wire to.

Tools Needed:
1. 10mm to remove the shifter from the shift shaft
2. 5mm allen wrench to remove the sprocket cover
3. 32mm six point impact quality socket
4. torque wrench
5. drill with 1/16 drill bit and cutting oil
6. hammer :)
7. screw driver
8. vice grips
9. 0.032 safety wire

My time for the fix came to 1hr 15mins. I believe that you can do it faster since I have provided you with tools and torque numbers.

Start by removing the front sprocket cover...This cover.

Here is my front sprocket. I've always recommended the OEM sprocket because of the buffer they added. That usually makes them quieter, and now I notice that mine has started to fall apart. Which, it does have over 20k miles on it, but still...I thought it should last longer.

Anyway, I spun the wheel around to show that I did have my lock washer properly folded over to the flat of the nut. It did not come off. But I still want to safety wire so that it does come off like others have posted.

So, use your screw driver or whatever it takes to flatten that washer back down to remove it.

Then place something in the wheel that came span from one side of the swing arm to the other. The transmission should be in neutral when you try to remove the front sprocket nut, so we need someone to apply the rear brake, or use another tool to keep the rear wheel from turning while we remove the nut.

Front sprocket nut 32mm @ 50ft lbs

The nut has been successfully removed.

I used a vice to hold my nut in place while I drilled a 1/16" hole through it from flat to flat using oil.

Then, I took the old lock washer and drilled three holes in it, so that when I torqued my 32mm nut down, I would easily have a hole near by to safety wire to.

Now, that I have my three holes, I then used the vice grips to fold up the edges where the holes were so that I could feed the wire through it after the nut was torqued down.

Move the hammer or whatever tool you used earlier below the swing arm so that you can torque your front sprocket nut to 50ft lbs again.

Here is how the holes lined up after torque. I wasn't really thrilled with it, but I believe it will still be suitable.

Extreme close up (inspired by Garth and Wayne), it was too tight to a proper twist between the nut and washer, so this will have to do. 0.032 SS safety wire.

Note that I am still going to bend the lock washer over to the flat of the nut on the other side.

And then reinstall the cover. It should look exactly the same as it did before the job started. :)

Last edited by 97catintenn on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
97catintenn
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 97CATinTENNessee
Bike Color: Red and White
Bike Mileage: 50,000

Re: Our front sprocket nuts are prone to dissappear...FIX

Postby CoolJoker197 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 pm

just looked in the FSM.....it says 70 NM and 50 LB/FT for the sprocket nut :ok

for a while there i was wondering if i had simply undertorqued it :jester
CoolJoker197
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

I Ride: 2009 FZ1
Bike Color: Blue/Black
I also ride: 2007 Toyota Avalon
Bike Color: blue
Bike Mileage: 6500 miles
Bike Mileage: Avalon 185,000

Re: Our front sprocket nuts are prone to dissappear...FIX

Postby 97catintenn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I've edited the how-to. But I did torque my nut to 70ft lbs, lol. I just miss read the text.
Matt
97catintenn
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 97CATinTENNessee
Bike Color: Red and White
Bike Mileage: 50,000

Return to How To's: The Master List