How to Integrate Turn Signals into Stock Mirrors

This is where keep all the step-by-step How Tos to get you through that project.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

How to Integrate Turn Signals into Stock Mirrors

Postby Louie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:42 pm

This was my concept:

Since i covered the stock turn signal holes on the side fairings, i didn't need to splice any new wires into the wiring harness. If you want to keep the original turn signals and add integrated mirrors, there is a howto for it in the master list.

For the integration of the mirrors I took the insides from flush mount turning signals and placed them into stock mirrors. Here are the tools I used not including the Phillips head screwdriver.

I cut lenses from a generic turn signal from Autozone. Here's a link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 78250_0_0_

They are acrylic so it's easy to cut and shape. The item can be ordered at the store or you can have it shipped to your home. Beware the bulb housings from the flush mounts are the same size as the stock turn signals, but the stock bulbs are bigger.

Just one amber turn signal was enough for 2 lenses using the smaller bulbs. The blue outlines are where I cut the lens. Tape can be used to mark where to cut, and a band saw will do a neat job. If you want to use the larger bulbs, you will need two of the acrylic turn signals and you will need to modify the following plans.

After I had my lenses, I figured out roughly where to place them. I warmed the lenses over the stove. Be careful not to overheat them. I placed them on the mirror, and pressed them down firmly with a thick kitchen towel for a minute while they cooled and hardened.

Next I marked the mirrors with tape to prepare to drill holes for the electronics. I marked a rectangle about 1/8" short on the width and about 3/4 to 1 " short on the length. In other words make sure the lens is bigger than the whole. The blue outline on the next picture is the whole i made. I used a drill bit to cut into the mirror, and to carve out the entire thing. I made a very slight indentation on the middle of the long sides to allow the bulb to get in.

I drilled a hole about 1/4" in diameter on the bottom for the wires to thread out.

This is a top view and side view of the reflector i made.

I cut the top and bottom off a coffee can and flattened the sides out. One can will easily yield two reflectors. Here's a flow diagram of the cuts.

Here is a rough plan for a reflector.

The tab at the wired end is longer than the other to allow the bulb to sit at the middle of the hole.

While you have scraps around, cut 4 retention clips like these:

They will hold the bulb housing in the mirror. If you don't have any male couplers you can use the same scraps to make 6 of them. I made 6 rectangles about 1/4 by 1". Make a hole at one end with a small bit or nail. fold in two side along the length to make the square plugs. pry the sides apart at the middle and pinch the end without holes to make them cone shaped.

Once the reflector is properly shaped, thread the wires through the reflector tab, through the large hole and out through the bottom hole. Begin to insert the reflector and bulb housing into the mirror through the indentations.

Continue to gently insert the assembly while hanging onto the longer tab.

Hold onto the longer tab so the assembly wont fall into the mirror.

Once it's in, fold the tabs down over the mirror. Now lay the lens over it and trim extra tab material so it's not poking out from underneath the lens.

Now insert the retention clips. One on each side, slow and gentle between the reflector and the bulb housing.

Make guide holes for the screws using a very thin drill bit. Then drill the holes out with a thicker bit that is still smaller than the threads of the screws. Carefully turn the screws into the lens and the mirror through the reflector tabs. If the holes are very tight on the lens, and the screws won't turn, then drill the lens out more but leave the holes in the mirror the same.

Next make a hole in the mounting bracket. The bracket has a top with a plastic cap. I made the hole on the less angled slot.

Screw the bracket on the bike and drill through the fairing and the sub frame. The sub frame is very dense, so take your time and use a drop of veggie oil or tapping fluid if you have it.

I took the dash plastics, and the windshield off to pull the wires of the side turn signals up around the sub-frame. Here's where they come out:

The wires on the left side are very short so either be patient when connecting the mirror's wires, or make the wires for the left mirror longer. Before talking about the wiring, I want to touch on a point about the stock mirrors. You may have spotted the arrows on the arm where the mounting bracket is connected. I believe the arrow must point up when the mirror is on the bike. The arm can be rotated around the knuckle. when the arrow points up, you will gain a small extension outwards, and the mirror can now be bent towards the front of the bike which eliminates the problem of "elbow in the mirror".

For extending the wires I used stereo system wires. Cut lengths once the mirrors are on the bike. Splice each wire, then push the mends back into the mirror and zip tie the wires on the arm. Estimate how much you will need and thread them through the bracket holes. Tuck them around the sub-frame. Attach the male couplers and connect the wiring. If your wires are color-coded, you are almost done. If not you will need to do a little guessing first. When finished your turn signals should go almost off between flashes. The flashes should also be slow like on a car.

I hope this was helpful. Please post any request for clarification.
Louie
General Badass
General Badass

I Ride: 1997 Yamaha YZF600r
Bike Color: Full Red
Bike Mileage: +23,000

Re: How to Integrate Turn Signals into Stock Mirrors

Postby BenTheRighteous » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 pm

I love DIY projects like this. Thanks for this writeup. This is awesome. :cool:
me: "I'll have to show you my motorcycle mods sometime - I know you would care"
other guy: "If you would like to show me the 'Hot Girl on the Back' mod, I would care!"
BenTheRighteous
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

I Ride: 05 Honda CBR600RR
Bike Color: Black
Bike Mileage: m(y) = (y - 2009) * 5000

Postby Jopo16 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:10 am

Holy turd thats awesome! how does it hold up against rain?
2003 Yamaha R1
Mods: Yoshimura TRS slip-on, Frame Sliders

Sold: 03/16/2014
2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Mods: 2Bros C2 slip on, Flush Turn Signals. Puig Race windscreen, Ride it aftermarket, TSG Custom Pearl white paint, 14/49 JT sprockets w/ gold 530 DID Chain, OES Frame sliders, Motion Pro speedo cable, LW adaptor, '09 R6 rear shock
Jopo16

I Ride: 2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Bike Color: Blue black and white
Bike Mileage: 30,000

Postby Louie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I haven't made it sea worthy yet. I'm going to get some thin rubber to make a seal. It should hold well. I'll edit the post once I've finished that.
Louie
General Badass
General Badass

Postby Black YZF600R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

Louie wrote:I haven't made it sea worthy yet. I'm going to get some thin rubber to make a seal. It should hold well. I'll edit the post once I've finished that.

Couldn't you use like a clear silicone cauk or something along those lines to seal it up. Rubber would work too.
Image (Giving credit to midlife for finding this. I thought it was cool and he said I could use it.)
[1998 Raven Cat] [M4 cf Slip-on] [LED Turn Signal Mirrors] [DID X-ring chain] [OES Sliders] [ZG Sport Touring Windscreen] [K & N Air Filter]

Image Image Image Image
Black YZF600R

I Ride: 1998 YZF600R
Bike Color: 2006 Raven paint scheme
I also ride: Fuji Nevada 4.0
Bike Color: Custom Red/Silver
Bike Mileage: Almost 20,000 miles
Bike Mileage: --------

Postby carboncat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 pm

im sorry but that looks unfinished. is there any way we could help you figure out a way to improve it?

Edit for being an ass
Last edited by carboncat on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munch wrote:i would say ditch the kid and come to the gap because usually the kids dont want to be embarrassed by their parents but you're prob such a cool pops that you'll be passed out on a sorority house lawn, naked, with fridge magnets stuck to the pins in your ankle and a couple hotties snorting blow off your chest. who wouldnt want a father like that to join them on the start of their college edumacation :cheers
carboncat

I Ride: 2006 50TH YZF-R1
Bike Color: Yellow/Black duh!
I also ride: 2006 YZF-R1 track bike!
Bike Color: Candy blue/black
Bike Mileage: 11,000k
Bike Mileage: 19,000k

Postby BenTheRighteous » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Jeez carbon, I'm sure this guy takes way more pride in these signals that he created by hand than any mirror he could've bought, and he was nice enough to share it with us and create an awesome tutorial with pictures!

Maybe this mod isn't your style and that's fine, but there's no need to insult the guy.
me: "I'll have to show you my motorcycle mods sometime - I know you would care"
other guy: "If you would like to show me the 'Hot Girl on the Back' mod, I would care!"
BenTheRighteous

I Ride: 05 Honda CBR600RR
Bike Color: Black
Bike Mileage: m(y) = (y - 2009) * 5000

Postby Jopo16 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 pm

CC's like that. He just says it like it is. If you having you having turn signal problems i feel bad for you son, i got integrated light mirrors that always run.
2003 Yamaha R1
Mods: Yoshimura TRS slip-on, Frame Sliders

Sold: 03/16/2014
2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Mods: 2Bros C2 slip on, Flush Turn Signals. Puig Race windscreen, Ride it aftermarket, TSG Custom Pearl white paint, 14/49 JT sprockets w/ gold 530 DID Chain, OES Frame sliders, Motion Pro speedo cable, LW adaptor, '09 R6 rear shock
Jopo16

I Ride: 2007 Yamaha YZF600R
Bike Color: Blue black and white
Bike Mileage: 30,000

Postby carboncat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 pm

i said i was sorry :jester
munch wrote:i would say ditch the kid and come to the gap because usually the kids dont want to be embarrassed by their parents but you're prob such a cool pops that you'll be passed out on a sorority house lawn, naked, with fridge magnets stuck to the pins in your ankle and a couple hotties snorting blow off your chest. who wouldnt want a father like that to join them on the start of their college edumacation :cheers
carboncat

I Ride: 2006 50TH YZF-R1
Bike Color: Yellow/Black duh!
I also ride: 2006 YZF-R1 track bike!
Bike Color: Candy blue/black
Bike Mileage: 11,000k
Bike Mileage: 19,000k

Postby Louie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 am

I haven't logged in a while, so i don't know what's been said in the past. Nor do I care. Yes, they're unfinished. I was so broke while doing that project that I couldn't buy electrical tape. The reason I rushed to post this howto is because another member requested it. Now that I have an income again I can afford to finish the job. Thanks for the support.

P.S. My integrated mirrors run perfectly, and I love how they look despite the shitty wire job.
Louie
General Badass
General Badass

Return to How To's: The Master List