In over my head in seattle

New here? Introduce yourself to us all. New rider or just new to the YZF? We'd like to get to know you.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

In over my head in seattle

Postby Whoopsididitagain » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Hey guys!
So I had a nice little ninja 250 I fixed up this summer with some friends. I figured myself quite the up and coming mechanic, so I decided to bite off a little more than I could chew. Bought a 1998 YZF600R off Craigslist that needs a new chain, rear axle work, and has some idling issues. I have to move about 80 miles away for college tonight and gotta get this off my hands. I love the bike, I just can't afford the money and don't have the know how to get it working properly. Right now the rear axle is kinda stuck sideways. I tried to adjust the chain instead of buying a new one, and I think I might have messed up the houseing for it within the swingarm. I can't tighten it to the point where it will roll.
I messed up guys. I want to buy another yzf6r but find a working one this time. The current one is on Craigslist for $1000. I got it for $1300 so I figure that's fair?? I dunno guys I'm new to the motorcycle game and already losing.
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, PLEASE, send them my way!!!
Whoopsididitagain

Re: In over my head in seattle

Postby Micah » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 am

If the rear wheel is not turning, is it bound up by the chain, or is it rubbing on the swing arm? There are two adjusters in the back of each swing arm. You must turn them the same number of turns as you’re increasing or decreasing chain slack.

I recommend starting over. Increase your chain slack by unlocking the chain adjuster nuts, and pushing the axle forward. You’ll need to crack the axle nut loose in order to do this, obviously. Then, set your chain slack appropriately (I think ¾ - 1 inch of play at the tight spot of the chain, measuring the chain slack underneath the swing arm. Then tighten your axle nut and lock your chain adjuster nuts on either side of the swing arm. Take one more measurement of chain slack, just to be sure that you didn’t accidentally tighten it as you finished up. You’re done! The wheel should spin reasonably freely while on a rear stand. If the rear wheel does not spin freely, you may have a wheel bearing issue, or the brake caliper may be seized on the brake rotor.
"A road trip without distractions is just a commute." --Dennis Matson
Micah
Site Contributor 2010
Site Contributor 2010

I Ride: 2000 YZF600R
Bike Color: Black
I also ride: 2001 Ducati 996
Bike Color: Red
Bike Mileage: 69500
Bike Mileage: 14400

Re: In over my head in seattle

Postby vashtsdaytona » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm

pictures would help
I have a full engines worth of bolts and hardware. if you are missing somthing specialty hit me up I will share.

Goodbye Ashwin, stay safe on the otherside.

YOSHIMURA Club
member #1 President

My technical mentors; Bpro, 893cv.

A monkey can memorize facts, but ask one to rebuild a set of forks.....
-Bpro

"I know what I'm doing is right, I just did it wrong."

2nd Gear Rebuild Vids Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vashtsdayto ... sults_main

Fork Rebuild: https://youtu.be/7sgxwyaRDO8

I have carb parts. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67234

courtesy of UTHornsfan
vashtsdaytona
Not a "Thundercat"

I Ride: 1996
Bike Color: FoxEye
Bike Mileage: 44000

Return to Newbie Introductions