Toying with '07 streetfighter

Ride naked!

Moderators: slug, tdah73

Toying with '07 streetfighter

Postby fluidlogic » Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey, I've been checking out some of the pics, and, well, I love my 'Cat, but the fairings do bug me a tiny bit, and there are some damn handsome 'fighters on this site. I'm kinda kicking around the idea of going streetfighter with mine, but, to be honest, I really don't know what the whole project entails in terms of time, money, modifications, DIY, etc. Is there a sticky link somewhere on the site, or would one of you fine gentlemen or ladies mind giving me the lowdown on it?
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic
Starting to think you're good

I Ride: '07 YZF600R
Bike Color: Blue/silver
Bike Mileage: 16k and climbing rapidly

Re: Toying with '07 streetfighter

Postby bickjc » Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 pm

It sorta all comes down to how fancy looking you want the final product to be. The prettier the final result, the more time it will take. The nice thing is, once you get the major stuff out of the way, you can tinker with the rest whenever you feel like it, since it will mostly be cosmetic at that point.

Everything is pretty simple though, so if you think of yourself as fairly handy, it will mostly just involve time. There are a few things you'll probably need to buy, but they can be had without too much expense. I fightered mine through the winter, so I could take as long as I wanted and it wouldn't be cutting into my ride time.

The minimum you'd need to do if you take all the fairings off, is to re-jet your carbs and do the airbox mod to keep your carb floats working properly. Since you won't have the ram air anymore, you'll be getting different air flow, so you won't have quite the performance afterward, but you can get it pretty close. As long as you won't be taking it to the track after, it won't be that big of a deal. [If you're good with carbs, you might be able to get it working just as good, I know vashtsdaytona mentioned something about using the earlier model Thundercat's carbs since they were designed for use without ram air, but I'm still kinda new to carbs, so I haven't tried that one yet.]

Airbox mod is free [see page 3, just over halfway down]: http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33642
Jet kit can be had for under $100, instructions here: http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22279
If you're pretty handy, you could do both mods in a day, including taking all the fairings off, that way your bike really wouldn't be out of commission at all. Check YesComrade's first pics, and get an idea of what the bare minimum would look like: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=65592 You could do that [minus the paint] in a day. If you get new gauges and headlight, maybe new signals, it could probably all be done in a weekend.

You could use the stock gauges and figure out some other way to mount them [like 52wanganking], you could use the stock light [ugly though], you could install dirtbike bars, etc. etc. Check this link for other potential issues with gauges and such, another member just asked about that stuff: http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 61&t=66968

Painting obviously takes longer, any other upgrades you do while you're at it adds time, if you know you're never going to put the fairings back on you could grind off all the fairing brackets...

So pretty much the prettier, more upgraded you want it, the more time and/or money it takes. But for the bare minimum, you could get by with just a day and 100 bucks and then just go from there.
Explanation of my avatar [in case you're curious]: http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/100607.html
-
"Listen: We all have phobias. Mine used to be a fear of being too fantastically rad. But I got over it." - Arthur the Duck
"All I've ever wanted is an honest weeks pay for an honest day's work." - Ernest G. Bilko
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

I Ride: Fightered 'Cat
Bike Color: Navy Blue and White
I also ride: Saab 9-2x
Bike Color: Silver
Bike Mileage: 30K
Bike Mileage: 71k

Postby fluidlogic » Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 am

bickjc wrote:It sorta all comes down to how fancy looking you want the final product to be. The prettier the final result, the more time it will take. The nice thing is, once you get the major stuff out of the way, you can tinker with the rest whenever you feel like it, since it will mostly be cosmetic at that point.

That was my main concern... The last "hey, I wanna do [cosmetic] to my bike" project turned into a "hey, I just discovered that this one $0.50 gasket was keeping the bike from falling apart" project, and took WAY more headache and money than I had planned. But that was an '86 that had seen better days. My '07 'Cat has been treated pretty well.

bickjc wrote:Everything is pretty simple though, so if you think of yourself as fairly handy, it will mostly just involve time. There are a few things you'll probably need to buy, but they can be had without too much expense. I fightered mine through the winter, so I could take as long as I wanted and it wouldn't be cutting into my ride time.

Mine is my primary mode of transportation, but I'm essentially idle at the moment so I'll survive. I can deal with time, and I'm pretty handy.

bickjc wrote:The minimum you'd need to do if you take all the fairings off, is to re-jet your carbs and do the airbox mod to keep your carb floats working properly. Since you won't have the ram air anymore, you'll be getting different air flow, so you won't have quite the performance afterward, but you can get it pretty close. As long as you won't be taking it to the track after, it won't be that big of a deal. [If you're good with carbs, you might be able to get it working just as good, I know vashtsdaytona mentioned something about using the earlier model Thundercat's carbs since they were designed for use without ram air, but I'm still kinda new to carbs, so I haven't tried that one yet.]

I already installed the Ivan's Performance kit per Slug's recommendation, so I think I'm good there. The ram air system was my main worry, but research suggests that I can deal with that, too. I'm not a competitive track rider, so I'm safe on that score, too. I'd like to get some track experience in when I'm more comfortable with the bike, but I can cross that road when I come to it. And the nice thing about carbs is that there's more room for tinkering.

bickjc wrote:Airbox mod is free [see page 3, just over halfway down]: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33642
Jet kit can be had for under $100, instructions here: viewtopic.php?t=22279
If you're pretty handy, you could do both mods in a day, including taking all the fairings off, that way your bike really wouldn't be out of commission at all. Check YesComrade's first pics, and get an idea of what the bare minimum would look like: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=65592 You could do that [minus the paint] in a day. If you get new gauges and headlight, maybe new signals, it could probably all be done in a weekend.

Yeah, that'd be the plan. Any thoughts on which signals work best?

bickjc wrote:You could use the stock gauges and figure out some other way to mount them [like 52wanganking], you could use the stock light [ugly though], you could install dirtbike bars, etc. etc. Check this link for other potential issues with gauges and such, another member just asked about that stuff: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=66968

Agreed. That light is not exactly an aesthetic masterpiece.

bickjc wrote:Painting obviously takes longer, any other upgrades you do while you're at it adds time, if you know you're never going to put the fairings back on you could grind off all the fairing brackets...

So pretty much the prettier, more upgraded you want it, the more time and/or money it takes. But for the bare minimum, you could get by with just a day and 100 bucks and then just go from there.[/quote]

Awesome! Thank you so much for the feedback and the links!
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby bickjc » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 pm

All depends how you want your signals. They have ones that mount on the same fork mounts as for a headlight, ones that are integrated with the mirrors, ones that are integrated in the bar end. I don't really have any input into which are best. I went with the ones that are integrated into the mirrors so that I could kill 2 birds with one stone. I just got some generic ones, nothing fancy, and they work great. [I slid the grips out on my clip-ons slightly to make room for the bar clamps for them.] I don't know what brand they are. Other guys do bar-end mirrors with the signals that mount next to the headlight.

If you do LED ones, you'll have to do some modification to your electrical, the flasher relay requires the regular bulbs' resistance to work. You'll need to replace the flasher relay for roughly $20 and install some diodes to prevent current bleed over between the flashers. The stock wiring grounds through the opposite sides bulb, but since the LED has far less resistance, it lights them both up. There's a thread somewhere around here with instructions [I might search for it later]. Keep in mind though that LEDs generally aren't as bright as incandescent bulbs, and they're more directional, so they're usually significantly dimmer if you're not looking straight at them.
Explanation of my avatar [in case you're curious]: http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/100607.html
-
"Listen: We all have phobias. Mine used to be a fear of being too fantastically rad. But I got over it." - Arthur the Duck
"All I've ever wanted is an honest weeks pay for an honest day's work." - Ernest G. Bilko
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby fluidlogic » Tue May 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah, I was looking at your build on the other thread. I already have bar-ends that lock my grips in place without any wiggle room, so I'd have to take those off, slide the grips and controls out about 3/4", and then...what? Get extended bar ends? Do your grips hang off the end of the clip-ons? You said they were the stock ones, right?
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby bickjc » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Actually, with mine I had screwed in some aftermarket bar ends that were just a little too tight, so I just muscled them in. Turns out after that I couldn't get them back out. There were 2 parts to them though, so if I just took off the end of it and left the rest inside. It basically just extended my clip-ons out about an inch and I just got new bar ends to screw into the piece that was still stuck inside.

Another option is to cut your clip-on bars in half, then get some metal rod or pipe to fit inside the clipons, fit it inside and weld it in place at the length you want it. That way you could make it any length you desire and you'd still have the stock clipons at both ends. It really wouldn't affect the performance of it as long as the welds didn't stick up higher than the original clip-ons do. If the bar you use on the inside was heavy enough it could help cut down the vibrations too.
-
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby fluidlogic » Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Hmm. Well, I'll give it a think. BTW, your fighter build is beautiful.
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby bickjc » Thu May 23, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks man! Still needs work [very obvious up close], but I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far. :D
-
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby pjgutierrez111 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 am

Yeah, I'm going to be fixing up my '98 yzf600r, thebguy I had bought it from already tried to turn It into a street fighter. He messed up the wiring so bad that I had to replace the headlight wire harness, the main wire harness, and the ignition switch. For the headlight I'm getting one off of ebay for like $70, they look relatively nice and only fork clamps. I want to do some research in using an fz8 headlight. I need to ask him what he did with the airb flow problem, from the looks of it he took the tubes that connect to the carbs and pllwd them through the airbox and shaved down the airbox tubes that connect to the ducts. He put the carb intakes in that and put a diy filter on each. I plan on using a trailtech vaypor. But I have no idea how ill connect it to the oem yzf gauge connector. I jave dirt bike bars on mine, they pretty nice if you ask me.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
pjgutierrez111
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

I Ride: 1998 YZF600r
Bike Color: Matte black
Bike Mileage: 40k

Postby fluidlogic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 am

Lemme know how the Trailtech works out. I've had two people so far recommend the Vapor. I'm going with the stock gauges right now, mounted on the very cut-down stock frame (chopped the original fairing frame up with a Dremel as a makeshift gauge/headlight bracket). I used SPLATT's airbox mod (the float bowl vent tubes run straight from the carbs back into the air box), and I'm trying to figure out how I want to handle the air duct issue. And I've been staring at all the wiring, trying to figure out how I'm going to route it.
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby pjgutierrez111 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:19 am

Most of it is just plug n play, but if you do need to splice for God's sake do it right. Or you'll have to pay a lot for new harness (es). I hacent gotten the trailtech yet, I need to find out the inner diameter of the radiator hose. I aldo got 41mm headlight brackets and a 7" universal chrome *metal bucket* headlight H4 bulb. I haven't gotten the headlight uet though, updates soon.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
pjgutierrez111
Still a bit scared
Still a bit scared

I Ride: 1998 YZF600r
Bike Color: Matte black
Bike Mileage: 40k

Postby fluidlogic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah, there was a little bit of lip-biting and finger-crossing when I wired up my Acerbis Cyclops, but everything's okay. Gonna have local mechanic do a quick once-over for me, to make sure I didn't miss anything, and do a little routing and wiring for me. Cuz I'm lazy and don't own a crimper.

This is what I've got so far... Pretty rough, still. Cosmetic stuff not even close to done, though. She's my primary vehicle, so I can't really strip her down to the frame and powder-coat her or anything like that. Yet. It'll have to be piecemeal.
IMAG0767.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0769.jpg

I bedded the old gauge cluster in a piece of tape-wrapped builder's foam and cut down the gauge cluster cover to a skeleton and used elastic straps to secure the whole thing to the triple. It's stable, accessible, protected, and actually looks pretty nice, though a little jury-rigged.
IMAG0766.jpg

I'm going to cut down the side and lower fairings to make a belly-pan, and exhaust-wrap the manifold and maybe the pipe. Or get a new slip-on. In the near future.
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby trevtastick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:26 am

Cut down that front fender. It's so bulbous, it's ruining the look of your bike from the front... and side... pretty much everywhere. That'll be the FIRST thing I do. lol. I think you can use a first gen R6 fender with little modification. I might be going that route.
trevtastick
Master of the YZF
Master of the YZF

I Ride: 98 YZF600R
Bike Color: MET BLUE
I also ride: My Wife
Bike Mileage: 26k
Bike Mileage: 4yrs & counting...

Postby fluidlogic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 pm

trevtastick wrote:Cut down that front fender. It's so bulbous, it's ruining the look of your bike from the front... and side... pretty much everywhere. That'll be the FIRST thing I do. lol. I think you can use a first gen R6 fender with little modification. I might be going that route.

Yeah, I've been toying with that. Not sure how I want to do that, though. Maybe leave the rear half untouched, cut the sides down as much as possible and taper the front,
IMAG0780 - Copy.jpg
or shorten and round it. Hell, I could even just cut it flat and Rustoleum the whole damn thing matte black. I dunno. I do like your idea, though. It'd save me a ton of Dremel work, and a ton of sweeping out the garage.
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby fluidlogic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Ugh. I just took a better look at that head-on pic, and damn... it is fugly.

*edit: just pulled it off, with no other cosmetic work. Huge improvement.
Attachments
IMAG0782.jpg
IMAG0781.jpg
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby bickjc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:17 pm

That's the way I ended up. Only time it's a problem is when you hit some water and you get sprayed in the face.

Not sure on the legality of going fender-less, plus I was still thinking about chopping mine up to make it look cooler, so I still have mine just in case, so if you do end up doing something different with yours, I'll be watching! :D
-
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby fluidlogic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 pm

bickjc wrote:That's the way I ended up. Only time it's a problem is when you hit some water and you get sprayed in the face.

Not sure on the legality of going fender-less, plus I was still thinking about chopping mine up to make it look cooler, so I still have mine just in case, so if you do end up doing something different with yours, I'll be watching! :D

That's why I have a full-face helmet. Well, that, and so nobody can recognize me if I do something embarrassing or see me turn red (damn that Irish heritage!).

Well, Long Beach PD has actual crime to deal with, so the few bike cops who know about that kind of thing are otherwise occupied. But if there's a legality issue, I'm sure I'll hear about it from Highway Patrol eventually.

I'll probably do a cut-down eventually, as soon as I figure out how to keep the damn thing from being so wide and awkward.
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Postby nik89 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 pm

u r getting there! thats good:)
I just finished installing the dynojet kit stage 1 also did put a k&n filter and synced the carbs. oh man.. what a difference.. purrs like a kitten.. and so much easier to pick up the front tire on first gear.. rpm is picking up easy... went down on pch 120 and it was so smooth:) so if u never did any of those u should.
i see u r from long beach.. i live in redondo beach so let me know if u need some help:)
nik89

Postby bickjc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:26 am

@nik89 - Not sure if you've heard the info about the K&N's having the tendency to rip at the fold, so if you haven't thrown your stock one away, you might want to hang on to it just in case. I believe K&N changed their style slightly because of that issue on their newer ones, so you may or may not have that problem, but with these bikes, the K&Ns really aren't that much better anyway.
-
bickjc
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

Postby fluidlogic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:31 am

nik89 wrote:u r getting there! thats good:)
I just finished installing the dynojet kit stage 1 also did put a k&n filter and synced the carbs. oh man.. what a difference.. purrs like a kitten.. and so much easier to pick up the front tire on first gear.. rpm is picking up easy... went down on pch 120 and it was so smooth:) so if u never did any of those u should.
i see u r from long beach.. i live in redondo beach so let me know if u need some help:)

Yeah, I rejetted my carbs with the kit from Ivan's Performance (which was loads of fun), I'm running a k&n, and recently had my carbs synched. Such a huge difference! She used to bog down around 5k, but no more. Slug recommended keeping the stock main jets in carbs 2 and 3, and using Ivan's main jets in 1 and 4.

After I get my Yoshi slip-on, I know a guy who knows a guy in Pico who has a dyno and rocks at tuning carbed bikes.

I haven't really pushed her that hard on starts yet, and I probably won't until I figure out why the throttle is being jerky... honestly, that's kinda the reason why I haven't pushed her ridiculously hard on turns, either. That jerk/surge crap she tries to pull every now and then makes me worry for my traction. I don't want to kick the back tire loose when I'm almost pegs-to-the-asphalt. So, if you know any fixes to smooth out throttle response...

Funny about PCH... I discovered that I can hit 125 mph in 3rd gear on the stretch between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach in Orange County.

And will do!
Oh, snap!

(said his collarbone)
fluidlogic

Next

Return to Streetfighters