1998 Kitty to urban scrambler project

Ride naked!

Moderators: slug, tdah73

1998 Kitty to urban scrambler project

Postby lemming » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Been picking away at this, starting to get near the point where it will be on the road. I picked it up in a trade for some skis. It was a salvage title bike with 16k, new Pilot roads, brake rotors and chain, well-maintained. It had been dropped by the owner at about 35 on a dirt road, so the left-side fairing were all torn up. Everything else appeared straight, and when I got there to look it over it fired immediately (cold) and the engine just screamed. I handed the kid my skis and loaded it up right then. Here is what I got:

We stripped the fairings, and checked it over mechanically back at my friend's garage:

And then it sat for a while (with an occasional driveway ride) until I found a headlight for it, a bracket, and the rear turn signals scarpered from my Royal Enfield when I put a new rear Triumph light assembly on it:

And then it sat some more, until my Amazon vinyl seat fabric find arrived in the mail, and I finally found time to head over and re-cover the seat. While we were at it, I modified the tail light frame to bolt in tucked up under the rear subframe. Now, with a little wiring left to do, it's nearing road-worthiness. I have some turn signals that will be bolted on the side of the sub frame beside the tail light. We are going to install a Trail Tech gauge, and run the wiring for the front up under the tank to clean it up. I also have some gold brake and clutch levers on the way from China via ebay. We will likely pull the headers, bead blast and high-temp paint them black as well. I also have a shorty can to replace the stock pipe. Looking forward to getting this on the road and rolling!

The new seat:

How it sits now:

I also have a short can pipe to put on. I am thinking a multi-surface back road burner....maybe some TKC80 tires?
Last edited by lemming on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
lemming

Re: 1999 Kitty streetfighter project

Postby lemming » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:58 am

So here is some inspiration for the direction I think we may go with this:

Planning out a mounting system for fitting ammo can panniers directly on the rear subframe (welding slot tabs on the frame, with steel flanges mounted to the cans that will slide down into the tabs). Will likely go with a matte black color on the tank and ammo cans, may use the croc-skin vinyl we did the seat in and adhere some panels on the knee cut-outs on the tank. I have lights I plan to mount using the frame mounts by the ram air holes. Likely that will also involve deleting the air box and go with pod filters on each carb.

Other ideas?
lemming

Re: 1999 Kitty to urban scrambler project

Postby KBacon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:15 am

Very cool project...

If you plan on pod filters.. you may want to look into some 95/96 carbs... IF you can find them!!! Due to the yzf600r's ram air system...
KBacon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: '05 R1
Bike Color: Blue
I also ride: '01 FZ1

Postby lemming » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:20 am

Yeah, I was thinking that might be required. We'll see about the airbox delete as we get into it. If I can find some carbs, may go that way though.
lemming

Postby 01YZF6 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 am

If you can get it to HALF the place the inspriation pic shows, I will be impressed ! that is going to lokk cool as heck when done !
TSG: "No, I have never heard of the Blue Waffle..."
Slug: "Even Kidlet knows what the Blue Waffle is..."
01YZF6
01 posts like a girl while riding in Drag
01 posts like a girl while riding in Drag

I Ride: 01 YZF 600-R
Bike Color: THE FASTEST
I also ride: WHENEVER I CAN
Bike Mileage: NOT ENOUGH

Postby lemming » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Fitted the shorty pipe - Radian Cycles Shorty GP exhaust. It....well.... it spits FIRE.

https://youtu.be/4lqrdG9ctm8

Yes, I'm aware this is not a rare phenomenon. And when we tune it properly we should no longer see unburned fuel detonating. That does nothing, however, to diminish the immense satisfaction my inner 6-year-old feels every time that flame licks at the footpeg. Gonna have to heat wrap my boot. :-)
Last edited by lemming on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemming

Postby tdah73 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:37 am

I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

By the way, you traded for a pair of skis? Best deal ever for a motorcycle.
Ride safe in Heaven, Ron, Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin and Ashwin. We miss you.

2001 YZF 600R
2006 YZF R1

Many of your YZF600R moto questions can be answered here :)
Many of your YZF600R forum questions can be answered here :)
tdah73
Yes, I moved your thread
Yes, I moved your thread

I Ride: 06 R1 - street
Bike Color: Black
I also ride: 06 R1 - track
Bike Color: Yellow
Bike Mileage: 24,000
Bike Mileage: 22,000

Postby lemming » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:46 am

Yes....for a pair of skis. With bindings. That were used. My best trade ever. About 30 minutes more work and it will be road-worthy for some end-of season fun in dirty cafe racer form. Then, this winter, we will be stripping it down to do the (minor) fab work and paint the frame, clean up all the bits and do the finishing work to turn it into the post-apocolyptic nastiness we envision for it.

Sumo-style front fender
TKC80s
More lights
Quick-release Ammo can panniers
Tool and fuel bottle tubes
Trailtech gauge
Fork gaitors
Dirt bar

Some options if the funds/finds work out:

Billet covers for the clutch, stator, etc.
Maybe go diving to salvage some fancy suspension bits
new radiator

We are thinking matte black coloring. Maybe even textured rubber, as we have some Rhino-lining material kicking around the garage.

Right now, we are enjoying the flame-thrower effect. Amazingly, the current jetting seems to be fine with the new pipe. We will re-jet it anyway to get it tuned optimally, but it really isn't far off. And it sounds downright ANGRY at idle. :D
lemming

Re: 1998 Kitty to urban scrambler project

Postby tuning-forks » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Not sure if you will be doing much off-roading, but if so, you will probably be raising the front fender like the example bike.
In which case I would be wondering how to protect the new rad you will be installing.
tuning-forks
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

I Ride: '06 YZF600R
I also ride: '82 KZ550
Bike Color: Black
Bike Mileage: 25,000km
Bike Mileage: 80,000km

Postby lemming » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

A SuMo style front fender is on the list to give us more clearance for tread on the TKC80s. No off-roading intended, just all-roading. Fair number of really interesting dirt roads and forest roads in Vermont that don't require dual-sport like clearance or protection, but which lend themselves toward tires not designed only for pavement. I don't think the radiator will be at much risk. Maybe an inattentive rider hitting a MASSIVE pot hole could damage the exhaust, but again, not too worried about that. Not aiming for river crossings and such....
lemming

Postby SPLATT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 pm

KBacon wrote:Very cool project...

If you plan on pod filters.. you may want to look into some 95/96 carbs... IF you can find them!!! Due to the yzf600r's ram air system...

Not required at all with pod filters as I've done it on a 98. The thing I didn't like about it is that it was loud as hell. I swear hardly anyone on this site knows anything about carburation :bang
Last edited by SPLATT on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 98 Fighter Cat viewtopic.php?t=51399
SPLATT
Tail sliding into turns
Tail sliding into turns

I Ride: 98 YZF600R,02 FZ1
Bike Color: Red,Silver
I also ride: WR450
Bike Mileage: 12K

Postby lemming » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 am

We went back and looked at it, seems like there is plenty of room for the pods on the existing carbs and for air circulation under the tank without the air box. The frame holes will remain open, so I think it would just be a matter of tuning properly. But that's a later decision, once the bike is done, really. Renthal dirty bars show up tomorrow. TKC80s are on the way already. I hope to have more progress to report soon....we kinda bagged on the whole "run as cafe racer until winter" plan...full speed ahead!
lemming

Postby Joedoom » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:37 am

It[s the Louisiana Purchase all over again!!! :cheers Great trade!!! Awesome progress!!! I like the thought of the TKC80's. Even if it's simply for aesthetics, they will def give you that end-of-the-world look, (or military). Good idea to leave the ram air holes open. Going with pods, closing the ram air holes will considerably restrict the amount of clean air flow to the pods. Especially with running a shorty pipe, you want to allow the 'Cat to still breath. Be sure to sync your carbs AFTER installing the shorty AND the pods.
Joedoom
Decent Rider
Decent Rider

I Ride: 2005 Yamaha YZF600R
Bike Color: Orange and Black
Bike Mileage: 90000

Postby lemming » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Haven't touched this in a while...but I just picked up some 25mm ammo cans on a craigslist find, for panniers. Going to "paint" the frame with rhino-lining for that stealthy look. Will be over at the barn working on it this week, so will try to report back with progress.
lemming

Return to Streetfighters